Nonprofit Tax Help

David McRee, CPA

Read This If Your Nonprofit Organization's Tax-Exempt Status Was Revoked and You Want to Get it Reinstated.

Has the IRS revoked your organization's tax-exempt status because you didn't file Form 990-N, Form 990-EZ, or Form 990 for three consecutive years? You're not alone!

Can The IRS Really Do This?

Yes, the Congress made a new law taking effect in 2007 that says if an organization fails to file a required Form 990 for three years in a row, the organization's tax-exempt status is AUTOMATICALLY revoked.

Can We Get Our Exempt Status Back?

Yes. In order to get your exempt status back, you have to re-apply by filing Form 1023, or Form 1024, whichever applies. 

Isn't Reinstatement an Expensive Process?

It can be. Costs involved include preparing the new Application and paying the user fee to the IRS to process the application.

I Have a Lot of Questions!

  • Will donors be able to deduct their contributions to us?
  • How many returns do we have to file?
  • Can we re-apply with Form 1023-EZ?
  • Do we have to attach a reasonable cause statement?
  • Is "ignorance of the law" accepted as reasonable cause?
  • Do I have to fill out Schedule E of Form 1023?
  • Do we have to pay penalties?
  • Should I file the returns before or after I send in the new application?

Whoa, there! That's a lot of questions. But I do have answers. Lots of them.

How You Can Learn More

The easiest way to get the answers you need is to let me explain the whole process to you in plain English.

That's why I offer an online training course in How to Get Your Tax-Exempt Status Back After Revocation. It's hosted on the learning platform so it's really easy to take the course.

Go ahead and click on the link above to learn more about the course and watch a short video.